12.24.2012

The Hobbit Movie: What We Expect And What We Get

I have told you before (I will tell you again here) that it is hard to adapt a literary piece into a movie; harder even if the story have gained a cult of readers that are ready to lynch you anytime; but hardest if it is J.R.R Tolkien's. The reason why is as simple is this: Tolkien have created a world so imaginative that no one, except him alone, can ever equalize. However, Peter Jackson, on his movie adaptation of J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit, knew the very thing that will answer this vital problem, and that is (glue-) sticking with the story itself.


A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug. - IMBD

It is only once in every century (a lifetime even) do people encounter writers as imaginative as Tolkien. The world and the characters he have fabricated is so beyond of every people's imagination and surely, beyond everyone's sense of reality. I got a puddle of reasons why I love Tolkien, but I consider this as the top one: J.R.R Tolkien defied the Walt Disney prototype of fairy tales. Not that I loathe Disney, because I owe them my childhood, but I certainly love how Tolkien brought fairy tales to a whole new level, out of the princesses and the princes, so that they may cater adults as well. Also, he have elaborated the thin, often times non-existent, difference between elves, dwarves, goblins and other fictional characters. Hooray!

My foreboding before watching The Hobbit is that the producers might have taken a complete overhaul in the story. Embarrassing though to say, I thought so because of my astonishment (and alarm) upon seeing who will play as (my dear) Thorin Oakenshield. My life would have ended if Peter Jackson truly decided to take on the I-am-the-director-do-as-I-say mindset but since he did not and the Mayan's Doomsday was a total hoax- I am still very much alive! (Sorry.)


Perhaps you will find it preposterous that I am acting this way since there was Lord of the Rings before The Hobbit, but as I said on my book review (see here), I really didn't mind watching that saga because it sprouted during the peak of Harry Potter. However, I know the story of The Hobbit because I got the book... and because I took it as my novel for a literary analysis. Hooray?

I totally love how the movie turns out. It lives on Tolkien's reputation: epic. I am completely in awe on how visually and intellectually appealing it has been. Jackson didn't cut any corners of the story, perhaps he have sensed the thorough vitality of every scene, that each and everyone of them will be a deciding factor of the next or even of the entire story. There are even some scenes that came bigger than how I expected it to be. Obviously, I got no peppers to spray to Peter Jackson, well played brother. Although it rolls longer than how a normal film should be, but I don't mind, I don't mind at all. We are not even taking this as a normal film.


The actors' did a superb job as well. Of course, Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf) is true blood wizard. Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins) is the most awkward man (or creature) I have ever seen in the big screen, just how it is supposed to be. Andy Serkis (Gollum) is still as lunatic as ever, only that he looks a bit healthier now. Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield!) is of course, way bigger than the stereotyped dwarf, but technology does the trick. However, they failed to tramp Armitage's hotness so he's so hot to be a dwarf I would rather live in a mine if he's the dwarf in there OMG. See, can't help gibbering.

The movie The Hobbit will be chopped into three parts as follows: The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey; The Desolation of Smaug; and There and Back Again. The reason why The Hobbit seems to be elongated is because of the bits and pieces taken from The Lord of the Rings so non-readers will not lost track. Although this is a necessity, I am not sure with the movie being broken down into three. A part two will be more than perfect, but a part three? I am not sure. Surely though there are loads of events that may serve as a climax that will keep the film rolling, but I think it will give the movies bad encores. But let's just see how Peter Jackson will do it, nevertheless, I will still follow Bilbo's adventure.

I was thinking about placing this one on a separate blogpost, but I just can't contain myself that long. Hail, the unexpected turn out of our stereotyped fictional characters and how Tolkien and Jackson see them!

Dwaves

What we expect:


What we get:




Elves

What we expect:


What we get:


Goblins

What we expect:

What we get:


Trolls

What we expect:


What we get:


The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey is still in theaters worldwide! 


You may also get a limited edition The Hobbit tumbler in every large Slurpee you get at all 7/11 stores nationwide.



* I do not own nor claim any of the photos without watermarks. Credits goes to their rightful owners.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento