1.08.2013

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

I've been quite repulsive over the fame of John Green. Goodreads top author- check; New York Times Best-Selling Author- check; millions of copies sold for his first novel Looking for Alaska- check; friends nudging about his craftsmanship- check; and more check marks that didn't quite appeal to me in spite of their plentiful recurrence. But when a friend unconsciously entailed John Green's name to Stephen Chbosky's... off went all my forebodings.


Since I find Looking for Alaska's plot a bit chiche, I decided to try John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. I have told you before that because of the book The Testament of Gideon Mack, my standards of a good literary piece have been heightened, and John Green is the first author to go through it. It's like my better-magnified literary eyes have constructed a revised transmutation table of grades.



Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult/ Romance Fiction
Sponsored by Lazada Philippines

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind. - Goodreads

Storyline:

When I first realize its plot I thought Nicholas Sparks' A Walk To Remember will be the most prevalent shadow, but then I realize it's Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. I shall say those two are the most heartfelt novels I've ever read, but The Fault In Our Stars didn't quite touch me as much as they did. Sure enough a lead role's death will be highly affecting, the problem though is that I have seen it coming, so the element of surprise was eradicated. Probably because it is so conspicuous in the story or that my mind got an auto-death detector. But then again, the thin line between life and death has always been endearing to my senses, and this craving is utterly sufficed by The Fault In Our Stars. The story gives a whole new perspective over death- something you'd love and cherish.

Creativity:

The story is insightful, at the truest sense of the word. It will get you thinking over a wide array of topics we sometimes disregard to those we often ponder the most. Like why an egg becomes an idea of breakfast and why do people fear oblivion and death while we know right at the very beginning they are both inevitable and irrevocable. The problem though is that such insights are quite spoon-fed to the readers through the character's dialogues. This left no space for the readers to fill in. Everything is laid explicitly, while in fact such wondrous topic should be lain implicitly. I am hoping for some gaps where I can pour some of my own ideals, not that I intend to intervene John Green's writing but a reader's interaction to the next is the topmost important factor a writer should consider, well at least for me. It's like the story caged me, and I am left with no choice but to go on with the story it laid upon me. Plus, I honestly don't sheep Hazel and Augustus, something seems to be lacking. It is probably because they are to fishy for me (especially Augustus) or because their love story started the cliche way (and the fast way!) it seems like it isn't valuable at all.

Technicality:


John Green is a wordsmith, but he didn't leave me in awe on his way of writing. Again, things are too fast-paced to the point that I wasn't given the time to revel that much upon it. However, The Fault In Our Stars surely is half a quote-book itself.

Over-all:

Insightful and humorous. It is good, but not as good as how most people around me sees it. Surely though, it is an investment. "After all the bewildering books we are reading, John Green's (books) are good resting place." - Junie Mart. True that!

Quotable Quotes:

“That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt.”

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”

“The world is not a wish-granting factory.”


Book review brought to you by Lazada Philippines. Order now with free shipping and cash-on delivery!


3 komento:

  1. Another amazing book by John Green. I never really had a favorite author before but after reading Looking For Alaska, tbh he'll always be on top of the list. and when this book came out on 10th Jan this year (Flipkart, i wish we could pre-order it)i H A D T O read it. even though i really liked the book, but i think Looking For Alaska was 10% better, but nonetheless, it's a good book you can't miss it! and DFTBA, Nerdfighters! ;)

    TumugonBurahin
  2. I just ordered this one a few days ago so hopefully it gets here soon. I love John Green's books and I've heard nothing but amazing things about this one. I can't wait until my copy arrives so I can start reading it. Great review!

    TumugonBurahin
  3. I just finished reading TFioS. I've heard a lot of great things about this book but I don't know if it was just me but I don't think this book is heart-moving. It was rather boring. The 2 main characters are like old people stuck in teenager's body. I mean, how can a teenager living in 21st century speaks the way they speak. They are trying hard to be smart that makes them sounds phony.

    TumugonBurahin