6.14.2012

Book Review: Going on Sixteen

Could this be the greatest ignorance I have ever made? I haven't reviewed my ultimate favorite book yet! And, needless to say, I am acting upon that dumb realization. *pulls out a gun and shoots my head*



I got this book from my grandparents when I was on 2nd year highschool, and you got no idea how great it helped me. As you may have known, it was the peak of my adolescence, and that was when I have experienced probably each and every emotional challenge a teenager can have. Back then I was not that much into writing, so I didn't have anything on my head that time, except for living and surviving life.

I consider Going on Sixteen as one of the greatest milestone I acquired in terms of my dreams. It made me realize how rubbish my life can be if I won't stand up and put something in front of me- something I can chase until I run out of breath.


PLOT:

Julie, a teenager that had her life around her dad in their farm, was yet to experience the most challenging chapter of her life- highschool. She realized how complicated a simple prom may be especially without the help of a mom she never met. She was on the verge of falling apart because she knew that life is bigger than a golden-haired girl like her. While her friends were all growing up painlessly, as Julie notices that they're becoming more and more of a lady, her confidence blasted down to zero, and thought that she would forever be stuck on the farm with her dad. Until one day, a collie came in her life and made her realize what her goal really is: to be a painter like her mother. She forged her way on the world of arts by trying out on graphic artists go-sees and doing the posters of their school's renowned play. Julie realized that life could be bigger than her, but it can never be bigger than her dreams.

Could there be any other books that can be more accurately real when it comes to a struggling teenage life? I doubt there is. The story was packed with colorful characters wherein all teenage girls can place their feet on. The settings, a country farm, also added to the innocent ambiance of the story, making it more smooth and endearing. The way Betty Cavanna told the story of how a sixteen year-old girl brought out her inner excellence is more of a friendly recommendation- meaning you will catch your self saying: I think that'll work for me as well!

Story line:


The story line was a cliche, I wouldn't lie on that. Julie was a motherless, lack-luster teenage girl who eventually came out confident of herself and everything about life. There weren't so many twists in the story, but Julie didn't succeed on everything- thank heavens she didn't, because if ever she did, Cavanna is obviously a puppet of Disney. the way Julie found her boy was not that perplexing too- for a shy and reserved girl, there will always be a best friend who will turn into a lover.

Creativity:

The boring story line was obscured through Betty Cavanna's sheer talent of story-telling. The reader can really visualize everything that is happening in the story: from Julie's imaginary dance on their taffeta with the sun ray's illuminating her features (that was how Cavanna introduced her) to her city adventure to a magazine company on where she tried to be a junior graphic illustrator. I myself have really made their farm palpable: from its tiny grass detail to the whooping animal sounds on their barn to the quiet and serene flow of the stream behind their house.
The characters were beautiful as well. If a reader isn't that shy and driven like Julie, she got other friends whom anyone might connect with. To a beautiful queen bee to a drama geek, the story was loaded with other emotionally-embezzling characters.

Technicality:

Betty Cavanna knew that her target market was the young adults, so she didn't use bewildering and gigantic vocabulary. However, she didn't forget to consider that every now and then she should at least lend some unique words for the juvenile minds, after all, helping your readers in any way possible is the goal of every writer (for me). Her sentence construction wasn't that stupendous yet it wasn't that flawed enough you would rather have it proofread-ed again.

Over-all:

Yes, I succeed to prevent my biased opinions.

Quotable Quotes:

Sorry people, but I failed to note all the catchy phrase I have encountered in the book (I have read it for like four years ago!) But I may say that its tagline can solve things up:

"Dreams do come true."

HAIL TO ALL THE DREAMERS OUT THERE!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento