10.11.2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I wouldn't deny that my reading journey started with Disney books, the kind of which the pictures claimed the whole page and the story itself came out like subtitles. They are the very foundation of the critical reader in me, sure enough I wouldn't really try reading if Peter Pan wasn't that handsome. OPS.

But now that I am used, or better yet in love, with those that showed nothing but words, it is really good to come back on those illustrated page some times. Provided that it tells a tale without any Prince Charming. Pweh.


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is indeed peculiar for it didn't confide with the word-word-word-word-word culture of young adult novels, instead, it took the risk of venturing the world of visual arts. Not that it presented every scene through illustrations but it emphasized the scenes through photographs. Haunting, scary, very weird photographs to be more specific.


SYNOPSIS:

As the story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow- impossible though it seems- they may still be alive.

A boy sailing to a deserted island to find the truth, action-packed for sure. A house full of peculiar children with different powers and abilities, now that's something.

Storyline:

You really wouldn't get the point of that grade if you won't read the entire story. The thing is, it came out so powerful during the early parts yet as we go along the protagonist's (Jacob's) adventure on finding his roots, then that was where the dismay came. It did sustain the breathtaking adventure yet everything didn't seem to be in coherence, I honestly found myself saying "How did it get there?!". There was a part where it seemed that everything was but an intellectual mishap of Jacob's grandfather, and how I really wished that it sticked with that excellent idea. First it was in the magical realism, then it happened to be all psychological, then it turned out to be a real magic. I can sense that the author pushed himself too much to insert all the stories his creative tree produced. Sigh

Creativity:

I hate to tell this but this creativity is all for the bizarre yet really enthicing photographs in the book. I would have to commend Ransom Riggs for his patience on collecting such items for the enhancement of the story, yes, as per the book, everything was genuine. Its settings as well, didn't appeal to my senses. It wasn't the kind of a magical place I would love to visit, it was more of a normal place which was forced to be magical. The story simply felt shortly in my own aesthetics.

Technicality:

Am I being harsh? Then I am deeply sorry for being honest. My very basis in this category is the author's craftsmanship (diction, use of words etc.) but none of these was excellently shown. The author didn't play with his words well, guess he was focused on playing with his photographs.

Over-all:

I know for sure that there are people who have been deeply captivated with the story of Jacob and Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, but I can see that I ain't one of them. I am up for a healthy adventure for my imagination, and bringing it through my eyes should have just been an aid, not the only option. But then again, perhaps there is something I didn't see that Tim Burton did. Yes Tim Burton Productions will be making a story out of this book.

The Peculiar Images:

You wouldn't be surprised if I have not seen any quotable quotes right? But I daresay such deficiency will greatly be sufficed by these very intriguing images:


This book is sponsored by Lazada Philippines, grab a copy now and judge it for your own good! Click here for the order link.

*Note: This book review is subjective to the book alone. The points and opinion expressed by the reviewer doesn't reflect the views of the sponsor. I am liable of my own judgement.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento