8.16.2012

Book Review: Saint

I really am scuttling all over the world of literature! To justify that forecast, I have just read an action-packed novel by Ted Dekker which is very much new to me.



PLOT:

Carl Strople struggles to retain fleeting memories that betray an even more ominous reality. He's been told a part of the truth, and he is so eager to decipher the rest. Invasive techniques have stripped him of his identity and made him someone new- for this he is grateful. But there are some things they can't take from him. The love of the woman named Kelly, who is technically her guardian in the X- Group, unbroken loyalties to his past... and the need for survival.
From the deep woods of Hungary to the streets of New York, Saint takes you on a journey of betrayal in a world of government cover-ups, political intrigue, and one man's search for the truth. In the end, that truth will be his doing. A collision of political conspiracy, science, history and even the magical realm - an adrenaline-rushing and mentally perplexing piece of art.

Story line:

My 2.5 verdict on its story line is quite literal, all because it was half-way within the story when it sort of lost its main scheme. I love the first part of the story wherein it introduced the nature of the X-Group, and I loved it more because of the fact that you will constantly find your self thinking if such occurrences are but another critical facade of the training of Carl Strople. Its interconnection with the law of science, especially physics, is so engaging that I myself thought if I, a normal person, can do such thing of affecting the so-called zero point field of the universe. However, on its latter part, specifically when Carl Strople, now known as Johnny Drake, have unraveled the truth about his supernatural powers (which came out divine rather than scientific) I was 'off-ed' if such word exist. It could be because of my natural idiosyncrasy that I felt as if Dekker no longer knew how to end his breathtaking masterpiece that he decided to connect it with something eternally acceptable- love and divinity.

Creativity:

Again, as I have told on the story line, it was on the latter part that everything seem to fell shortly. In all honesty, I had a hard time imagining the scenes depicted in the story- though of course I shall take into consideration that perhaps it is my fault but so far in my literary journey, I never lacked imagination. Also, the chemistry between the lead characters, Carl and Kelly, didn't seem to be palpable for me. It was very evident that Dekker was trying his very best to build such a strong connection between the two lovebirds, for he was constantly picturing Carl's unconditional love to Kelly to the point that he'll die and kill for her. I don't know, they didn't sound ticklish for me, perhaps it was all because the idea that maybe their chemistry was all intellectual (since Carl's brain was very much fabricated) was too vibrant all throughout the story. But then, perhaps it was I that really fell shortly, it was Dekker's way of emphasizing his obfuscating way of story-telling.

Technicality:

Ted Dekker has his way of joggling words, he wouldn't be crowned as one of New York's Best-Selling Author if he doesn't. There were lots of quotable lines that appeared every now and then during the whole adventure of Carl Strople, mostly about the never-ending confrontation between the good and the evil.

Over-all:

For someone like me who is seeking for a gun-to-gun action, this book is good- but not really the best. I would have loved it more if they have just settled on expounding the world of physical science, specifically the possibility behind the zero-point field. Not that I scrutinize the sudden spurt of divinity along the story but it just didn't felt right. It began with a mentally embezzling scheme about science, then faith put an end to everything, which if you try to look at, provided no space for imagination or critical thinking for faith is something unquestionable.

Quotable Quotes:

"Words can become reality." - David Abraham

"In truth, those who cringed at the use of cliche were their own cliche."

"The simple, terrible tragedy of life's story was that it all ended on the last page."

"Love was a strange and horrible beast, binding in mysterious ways."


"Belief begins with the imagination. The day a faith loses imagination is the day it dies." - Samuel Abraham

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento