3.11.2013

Summer 2013 Reading List

I know Phineas and Ferbs are the epitome of a happy summer but I think I will be sticking with Spongebob's logic this vacation.


My ultimate goal is to write something really worth reading and to further enhance my word-juggling. However, I don't think slaughtering my bare hands with callouses because of writing will be the only way to do this. I know this is of great cliche but yes! I will be reading the days away this summer. I am honestly hoping to do something surprising and flambouyant but I will be a total jerk if I'd lie to you. As if anyone cares actually.

Behold! Outrageous Writer's Summer 2013 Reading List!


Photo fromWikimedia

1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Because of Charlie, I have gone really really fond of teenage fictions. I know it is quite late for me to feel this way but who wouldn't find themselves reminiscing during the days when emotions are the very thing that consume you?


2. On Love and other Lemons by Katrina Stuart Santiago

Of Love And Other Lemons is a collection that plays with the form of the personal essay, turning it on its head, insisting on the we versus the i, the distant versus the familiar, even as it can only be about the persona/l. As such it is honest but impersonal, particularly of one but speaking of (if not for) the other, creative non-fiction premised on what remains fictional for women on this side of the third world. Here are, and ultimately, essays about being raised a girl in Manila, feminist in the academe, woman struggling with/in the silences and noise of nation everyday.

One of my friends once told me that we are seeing the dawn of essays on our local literature. I guess Katrina Stuart Santiago has something to say about this one with a burst of lemon?


3. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

The story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings.

My sexuality and my views towards same sex relationship has been a constant joke against me since last year. I know I will be steering minds once again as I take Annie on My Mind as one of my front picks. Issues aside, this controversial novel has always been on my Goodreads To Read list, and I am hoping it will be transferred on my Read shelf this summer.


4. The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling

A big novel about a small town…
When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.
Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.
And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

As far as my memory serves me, The Casual Vacancy had also made it to my Summer 2012 Reading List... which only means I haven't satisfied my hunger yet for another Rowling novel. Shall we try this summer then?


5. A Wold at the Table by Augusten Burroughs

'My father doesn't feature much in Running with Scissors. And one of the reasons for this is because he didn't feature much in my life. But there's another reason, too: Our relationship was so complicated, so dark, so confusing and so big, that to tell the story would require a book. So finally, upon the death of my father in 2005, I decided to tell the story I have been most afraid yet most compelled to tell.'
This prequel to international hit Running With Scissors tells the story of Augusten's relationship with his tormented father: a man who sent his wife mad and saw his other son run away from home, prior to Augusten going into foster care. Harrowing, insightful and amusing by turns.

My copy of this book has been lying on my trunk for quite some time right now. I think providence is trying to prepare me for a great emotional and intellectual battle I am about to experience with this book.

Those are my top five picks for summer 2013! They aren't that much are they? Expect an on-surge of book reviews this vacation!

It would be really great if you will also share your top reading picks for this summer!

3 komento:

  1. Naalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Hey rhea! Well I've only read one thing on that list. Appropriate because I only read young adult. Haha , anyway 13 reasons why is interesting but relating to it was a challenge for me probably because of the context and the POV, it's very promising though but it just didn't go there for me. Considering suicide is a very emotionally intense topic, it did not make me so. But for what it's worth, it was thrilling for me to guess who's going to get it next. Would like to read Of Love and other lemons. Do they have it at NB?

    Lots of lovin'
    Penda

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Hi Penda! I don't think it's available at NB. Will update you once I see it on any public bookstores! :D

      Burahin